Therapy Group Details
||Chronic Pain and Medical Issues Support Group
||SF Bay Area - CALIFORNIA
THIS GROUP IS A SAFE PLACE TO...
- Increase your understanding of your reactions to your limitations
- Learn new ways to get your needs met
- Improve your self-confidence and self-esteem
- Discover the gift of compassion for yourself
This supportive psychotherapy group includes hidden disabilities and chronic pain issues. Members help each other find new ways to make the most of life with limitations, deal with the challenges that illness brings to relationships, including trust, and intimacy with friends and partners.
** Wheelchair accessible **
About the Group Leader
Ann Steiner, Ph.D., M.F.T., CGP*, FAGPA* has personal and professional experience working with and living fully with chronic illness. She has been leading psychotherapy groups for over 28 years, supervises, trains and provides consultation to therapists. She is a Fellow* and Board Member of the American Group Psychotherapy Society, was a founding member of the National Registry of Group Psychotherapists,* and the American Orthopsychiatric Association’s Disability Study Group, was president of the Northern California Group Psychotherapy Society, and is the Chair of the American Group Psychotherapy Society's Medical Illness Special Interest Group.
Dr. Steiner served as an Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of California Medical School, S.F. for over 14 years and is on the faculty of The Psychotherapy Institute’s Group Therapy Training Program. She lectures at professional meetings nationally and locally, writes for consumers and therapists.
More detailed information about her evaluation/preparation process and group work is available online in the Therapy Groups and article sections of her website, www.DrSteiner.com
||Ann Steiner (Lic: ML17115)
After 28 years I still love running groups, training and consulting to therapists. I am a certified group psychotherapist, a Fellow, Board Member and Co-Chair of the American Group Psychotherapy Association's Medical Illness Special Interest Group, was a founding member of the National Registry of Group Psychotherapists, and Past President of Northern California Group Psychotherapy Society. I am currently a faculty member of The Psychotherapy Institute's Group Therapy Training Program where I led their first process training group, was active as an Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of California Medical School, San Francisco for 20 years, present regularly for the American Group Psychotherapy Association and Northern California Group Psychotherapy Society, lecture at professional meetings nationally and locally, and write for consumers and therapists. I pioneered and have over 20 articles published about the Therapist’s Professional Will: www.PsychotherapyTools.com
I specialize in relationship issues, chronic medical illness and use a blend of psychodynamic and systems orientation approaches. I have 4 wonderful ongoing groups: chronic medical illness, relationship-focused process, a therapy group for mid career and seasoned therapists, one for pre-licensed and early career therapists and a consultation group for licensed clinicians. Please see the articles about group therapy on my website, www.DrSteiner.com for more information about my groups in general, as well further information about my screening and preparation process.
My manual, Starting and Sustaining Groups that Thrive: Workbook and Planning Guide, was released in 2009.
Academic Affiliations, Workshops and Training:
- Faculty member of The Psychotherapy Institute's Group Therapy Training Program where I led their first process training group
- Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Psychiatry, University of California Medical School, San Francisco for over 14 years. I supervised psychiatric residents in the group therapy program
- Frequent presenter: American Group Psychotherapy Assoc.
- Freguent presenter for Northern California Group Psychotherapy Society
- Train group therapists, lecture at professional meetings nationally and locally, write for consumers and therapists
- Major pioneer of the Therapist’s Professional Will, with over 20 articles published
- Board of Behavioral Sciences approved Continuing Education Provider, CA